I feel the need to share with you my thoughts on how to shop successfully during that time of the year that is creeping up on us….the January Sales! Some love it, some hate it but one thing that most have in common is how many people get the January sales so wrong! Spending money on items that will sit in their wardrobe for the next 2 years with their tags still attached and gathering dust. This adds no value to our lives, our bodies or our wallets! So I am going to share with you my top 10 tips of how to shop successfully in the sales and make worthwhile purchases that you will actually wear.
1. Make a list of items you need rather than just scanning the rails for items you don’t need.
2. Shop Online – You would never catch me queuing for the 5am Boxing Day sales if you paid me! Make sure that you do your research – Know which of your favourite stores start their sales, charge your laptop/tablet/iphone, make yourself a cup of tea, grab the left over pudding from Christmas Day and shop to your hearts content in the comfort of your own home. Many stores will offer free home delivery and you can try and return if they are not suitable. Crazy carpark issues/buggy ramming and overheated stores when you are dressed for Winter avoided. Done!
3. Following on from the above – When shopping online, make sure you do so through the Cashback websites. I use Quidco and Topcashback. You will earn cashback just by entering the website link you want through their sites. So as well as purchasing items in the sale, you also earn cashback. A double whammy! Is it worth it? I earnt £465 this year in cashback so absolutely yes! Try these:
4. “Do you really like it? Is it is it wicked?!” DJ Pied Piper has got it spot on when it comes to making a Shopping decision – Before you take the items you have picked up to the till, sing yourself this song and ask yourself, Do you really like it, is it is it wicked and (I’m going to add a lyric here) Do you really need it?! Honestly! Use a Cost per Wear calculator – Justify your love! – How much does it cost/How many times will you wear it= Cost per wear! If you will wear it a lot then you can justify the cost.
5. Buy clothes that can be teamed with other items in your wardrobe – This may seem obvious but if it doesn’t mix and match with at least 3 other items you already own – Don’t buy it.
6. Buy more solids than prints – They are more versatile and co-ordinate with more
7. Take a photo of your outfits – Ever watch “Clueless” and wish that you had an epic automated wardrobe system like that? Well now you can! Print them off and stick them in a book/photo album and when you have little time to chose, grab your very own “look book” for ideas! This will mean that you buy less items and are better prepared for those days when you can’t decide what to wear.
8. Use accessories to update your wardrobe – Its Cheaper, more fun, easier to find and works well if you have pieces in your wardrobe that are your key staples.
9. Shop designer labels when they are in the sale – Make sure it is a staple item (Like a pair of jeans or a suit)
10. Expect to have your clothes altered – I have at least 80% of my clothes altered! Why – Because then they become items that fit like a glove rather than pieces that are just that little bit too big or too long. You could probably give yourself at least 5 new items to wear if you just had those items altered to fit rather than them hanging in your wardrobe and you never wearing them because they are not quite right.
We are also offering a Capsule Wardrobe Workshop on Sunday 18th January from 1030am-12.30pm at our Studio in Milton Keynes. Learn how to build a wardrobe of items that work together to help you spend less and wear more. Priced at £40 (Or £35 if you bring a friend). Spaces are limited so please contact us to book your place.
I will be posting some of my favourite items that I have found in the sales on my Facebook page, so if you want to follow me and my best finds, please follow us:
Don’t forget to sign up to our Newsletter too to keep up to date with our Group Workshops and special offers.
We would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year. xxx